Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Easy Grilled Flatbread

It is 95 degrees out and I have no intention of starting my stove today. Not even the toaster if I can avoid it. A big pile of salad greens and veggies will be the star on my dinner table tonight.  Need a side dish to make it a heartier meal? I will be grilling a couple chicken breasts as well as a flatbread for the carnivores.

Super easy and fast. Once you have made these they will be a summer favorite.

Grilled Flatbread

1 cup warm water
2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
2 teaspoons sugar
3 cups AP flour
2 teaspoons butter or margarine


First I'll tell you how I make it, then give you an alternative.

Put warm water in bowl of food processor. Mix in sugar and yeast. Add flour and butter. Process until dough comes together into a nice springy ball, about 2 minutes.  Place dough in greased bowl to rise. Let it sit while the grill heats up. I cheat and use an electric grill.

Divide dough into 4 pieces. I use a rolling pin to roll each piece out into a rectangle. If you are feeling brave pull and stretch into shape.

Carefully place dough rectangle onto hot grill and cook for 5 minutes each side. Slather with butter and parmesan cheese for bread sticks or munch  plain.

Note:    Don't have a food  processor or even a grill? No problem. Mix the ingredients for the bread in the same order in a large bowl. Knead about 5 minutes until you have a smooth elastic dough. Sometimes I can talk my kids into doing this while I prepare the rest of supper. After a 20 minute rest, roll out the dough as described above. You can bake in the preheated oven or toaster oven at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes.

I make all 4 flatbreads and use the extra for pizza shells. Yum!


No comments: