Monday, July 22, 2013

Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes

I am not strictly vegetarian or vegan, however, my  diet tends to those foods. I am not afraid of those labels because of that so I frequently try out vegan recipes. Every now and then I find a gem that makes it's way into my every day cooking. These cupcakes are one of those recipes.

My kids loved these. Instead of frosting them I just dust them with powdered sugar. You could be creative and serve with fresh raspberries and whip cream or a decadent fudge frosting.






Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes

 

makes 12 cupcakes or 24 mini's or 6 texas size

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup strong coffee
1/4 cup grapeseed oil (or canola)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons molasses
2/3 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
Confectioner’s sugar (optional)


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or line a 12-cup cupcake pan.

In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, whisk coffee, oil, vanilla, and molasses. Pour the coffee mixture into the dry mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until smooth and combined. Do not over beat. Mix in chocolate chips. Place batter evenly into cupcake pans, about 2/3's full. I use an ice cream scoop.

Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until cupcakes spring back when lightly touched in the middle. Let cool completely in the pan.



No comments: