Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Slow cooked Baked Beans

I find that one of the corner stones of my diet is beans. Seriously. I know you dont believe me because no one eats beans anymore in this fast paced eat out of a can or bag world right?

They are nutritionally a powerhouse. Beans are incredibly filling and inexpensive. While they are not a 5 minute meal they are also incredibly easy to make.  Dust off that crock-pot and come make some with me.


Slow Cooked Boston Baked Beans


1 pound ( about 2 cups) small dry white beans like navy beans
1/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup mustard
1 medium onion, chopped
a pinch of cloves
3 cups hot water


First you have to soak the beans. The night before I put them in a pan and cover with hot water from the faucet before I go to bed. There are other ways you can do it but really to me that's the easiest way to do it. Pick out any floaters and run a spoon through to look for little pebbles too.

The next morning drain the beans. Put half of them in the crock-pot. Place the chopped onion on top of beans. Cover with remaining beans.

In a separate bowl mix together the hot water, molasses, brown sugar, mustard and cloves. Pour over the beans in your crock-pot.

Cook for about 8 hours on low.  Check occasionally and make sure beans are covered with liquid. If not, add a bit to cover.  When they are tender enough to eat they are done. They may seem a bit soupy at first but will thicken a bit on standing.

The next day they are even better. This recipe will serve 6 as a main dish. I make these once a week and put in canning jars in my refrigerator so I can pull some out for a fast dinner. My teenager loves these on toast, I have them over rice frequently. They are a natural combo with Irish soda bread too.


Now a word about cooking times. There can be huge variances in cooking times depending on how old your beans are. If they have been in your cabinet for a year they may take a couple hours longer. I buy beans every week so they are relatively fresh. 

No comments: