Thursday, November 22, 2012

Healthier Peanut Butter Cookies

I make peanut butter cookies for the kids on Thanksgiving. They don't like pies and can carry them around while they are playing. Who doesn't like cookies?

I've been on the healthy eating bandwagon lately. The argument I hear most is the 'I don't have the time or money' excuse. I usually come back with the fact that a lot of little changes will make a big difference. So I have been tweaking some of my traditional favorites. Here's a new  version of my Thanksgiving peanut butter cookies. The kids loved them and I had to slap away a few adult hands as well.

Healthier Peanut Butter Cookies

1/2 cup (non transfat please) margarine
1/2 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch cinnamon
pinch salt
1 1/4 cup quick rolled oats ( not steel cut)
3/4 cup whole wheat flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cream the sugar, peanut butter, and margarine until smooth.
Add egg, soda, salt and cinnamon.
Stir in the oats and the flour. The dough will be thick.
Drop by spoonsful onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
Let cool. Makes about 2 dozen depending on how big they are.

No comments: