Tuesday, September 23, 2014

What's cooking on Tuesday?

It's a beautiful fall day here. I have the doors open wide for a delicious crisp breeze. 

I am catching up on some basics I didn't get to last weekend because everyone was sick. My son has been on a burrito kick so he went through all my refried beans. I brought a big pot of beans and water to a boil last night. After it boiled a minute, I drained and rinsed the beans. Throw them in the crock pot on low overnight and voila! fresh cooked beans. I used the beans in this recipe today to put up in freezer containers.


Refried Beans


3 cups cooked beans ( I used an assortment of reds)
4 TB butter
1/2 C water or milk
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
3 tsp cumin
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp black pepper

Melt butter in a large pot. Add in beans, spices, and water.
Mix well and simmer on medium low heat for 15 minutes or so.
You can run a hand mixer, immersion blender, or old fashioned potato masher to smooth it out if you don't want so many chunks. This recipe is a bit spicy, add less seasonings the first time or experiment to taste.
Pour into pint freezer containers and freeze after they cool completely.

I saw this recipe on The Prairie Homestead and was impressed by their site. I swear we are cooking from all the same recipes! 

I am going to serve these beans with homemade flatbreads, corn on the cob, and apple crisp tonight.
Although a brownie recipe is calling my name.............

No comments: